This vegetarian chili is so flavourful, you won’t miss the meat!USE the OMH exclusive code "HEALTH15" to Save 15%
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cans beans or 2 cups cooked dried beans black, pinto, and kidney, drained
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cans roasted green chilies
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/3 cup chili powder standard, not spicy
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder
- Hot sauce, sour cream, cheese, cilantro, or chives for garnish
- Chop the onions. Mince the garlic.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and saute, stirring, for about 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients: beans, tomatoes with their juices, green chilies, bulgur wheat, frozen corn, chili powder, oregano, garlic powder, kosher salt, black pepper, maple syrup or honey, and chipotle powder. Mix to combine. If necessary, add a bit of water to make sure everything is covered (we added about 1 cup).
- Bring to a boil, then simmer until the bulgur is soft, about 20 to 30 minutes. Taste and add additional seasonings as desired. Add hot sauce to taste; and serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, and cilantro or chives.