All the flavours in this dish — smokiness of the salmon, saltiness of the capers, tangy goat cheese, creamy egg and sharp red onion — work wonders together.USE the OMH exclusive code "HEALTH15" to Save 15%
Smoked Salmon Potato Tartine
- Potato Tartine: –
- 1 large russet potato peeled and grated lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter or other neutral flavoured oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Toppings: –
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely minced chives
- 1/2 garlic clove finely minced
- zest of half a lemon
- thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 hard boiled egg finely chopped
- finely minced chives for garnish
- Assemble Toppings: Combine goat cheese, lemon zest, and garlic in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Gently stir in fresh chives. Set aside.
- Season the chopped red onion and hard-boiled egg with salt.
- Prepare Potato Tartine: Working quickly (as the potato will quickly begin to oxidize), grate the potato (lengthwisinto a large using the large holes of a grater. Squeeze the potatoes over the sink to remove any excess liquid. Season generously with salt and pepper and toss.
- Heat clarified butter in a 8-10 inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the grated potato and shape roughly, using a spatula, into a large circle.
- Press on the mixture with the back of a spoon to compact it, cover and cook gently for 8-10 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown.
- Flip carefully to other side and cook for another 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove to cooling rack and allow to cool until barely lukewarm or room temperature.
- Assemble Tartine: Once potato cake has cooled, spread the goat cheese mixture on the top. Layer the smoked salmon directly over this and sprinkle with the red onion, hard-boiled egg, and capers. Garnish with freshly chopped chives. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.