Seasoned simply with chili and lemon and popped on the barbecue, these succulent sardines are the ideal summer supper.USE the OMH exclusive code "HEALTH15" to Save 15%
Sardines with Chili, Garlic and Lemon
- 1 lemon zested and juiced, plus extra 2 lemons, halved
- 1 red chili deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 sardines gutted (see notes)
- Tabasco to taste
- mixed salad to serve
- In a small bowl, mix together the lemon zest and 2 tsp lemon juice with the chili, garlic and oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cut small slits on one side of each sardine. Rub the lemon and oil mixture all over the sardines, rubbing well into the slits and body cavity.
- Cook the sardines on a preheated barbecue (or over a medium-high heat in a griddle pafor 3 minutes each side, until cooked through and the flesh flakes away easily from the bone. Put the lemon halves, cut-side-down, next to the fish for the final 3 minutes of the cooking time.
- Serve the sardines with a few drops of Tabasco, the grilled lemon halves and the mixed salad.