Cut some carbs and use spiralized zucchini in place of noodles in this zesty pesto pasta dish recipe. Top with Cajun-seasoned shrimp to complete this quick and easy dinner.USE the OMH exclusive code "HEALTH15" to Save 15%
Zucchini Noodles With Avocado Pesto and Shrimp
- Vegetable slicer
- Food processor
- 5-6 medium zucchini trimmed
- ¾ teaspoon salt divided
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup unsalted shelled pistachios
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons divided
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound raw shrimp 21-25 count, peeled and deveined, tails left on if desired
- 1-2 teaspoons Cajun spice optional
- Using a spiral vegetable slicer or a vegetable peeler, cut zucchini lengthwise into long, thin strands or strips. Stop when you reach the seeds in the middle (seeds make the noodles fall apart). Place the zucchini “noodles” in a colander and toss with ½ teaspoon salt. Let drain for 15 to 30 minutes. Then gently squeeze to remove any excess water.
- Combine avocado, basil, pistachios, lemon juice, pepper and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Add ¼ cup oil and process until smooth.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add shrimp and sprinkle with Old Bay or desired seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp is almost cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add the drained zucchini noodles and gently toss until hot, about 3 minutes. Transfer to the bowl, add the pesto and gently toss to combine.